Jiri has posted 14 posts at DZone. View Full User Profile

NetBeans IDE 6.9 Stabilization Update

04.21.2010

NetBeans IDE 6.9 is in the middle of its stabilization phase, so let's take a look at the progress made so far according to the NetBeans community, which plays an important role in the process. Since 2004 every NetBeans release is Beta tested by a group of 60 - 90 volunteers who enjoy playing with the newly developed features in their daily development and providing early feedback. We call it NetCAT. Version 6.9 is no different and here is an excerpt of the latest NetCAT 6.9 status report.

• NetCAT team so far reported >850 defects with stable income of >100 new bugs weekly. NetBeans developers were able to resolve majority of them and only about 40% remains open.

• Quality of Editor significantly influences overall perception of an IDE which logically reflects main focus of NetCAT participants. This team effort for example discovered many regressions introduced by new View Hierarchy code.

• Performance is the second most discussed topic. Whereas startup time benchmarks look good, we must concentrate on slow/unnecessary classpath scanning or slow debugging now. Recently several NetCAT participants reported OutOfMemoryErrors and helped us fix two memory leaks (see #183993).

• There is a wide range of feedback coming in. Some people decided to test brand new OSGi Interoperability, some used Annotation Processors support, others verify online tutorials.

• Beta Quality Criteria were successfully met and NetBeans IDE 6.9 codebase is approaching High Resistance milestone.

Complete NetCAT 6.9 Status Report #5 is publicly available in the web archive.

NetCAT bugs comparison

There are not only good testers in the NetBeans community, though. Some people prefer contributing code and for this kind of individuals there is a NetFIX program. NetFIX 6.9 team consists of 15 developers who simply query NetBeans Bugzilla for sympathetic bugs, fix them locally, and provide patches. Isn't that lovely? For more details read the latest NetFIX 6.9 Status Report.

AttachmentSize
bugs_income.png39.35 KB
emails_activity.png36.63 KB
Published at DZone with permission of its author, Jiri Kovalsky.

Comments

Jacek Furmankiewicz replied on Thu, 2010/04/22 - 8:18am

Recently I tried NB again after many years on Eclipse.

One thing were NB is light years ahead of Eclipse is its Javascript support. We tried developing a jQuery app in Eclipse and it's JS editor is utter crap: exceptions everywhere, even on basic code completion.

The NB code editor worked flawlessly and even displayed properly Javascript comments from jQuery in the code completion popups. I walked away impressed and intent on using NB more in Javascript-oriented projects.

Good job, guys.

Jiri Kovalsky replied on Thu, 2010/04/22 - 8:52am in response to: Jacek Furmankiewicz

Thank you Jacek! I forwarded your recognition to the responsible engineer. I bet he will be doing even more than his best ... :-)

Gregory Strockbine replied on Thu, 2010/04/22 - 11:47am

I just want to thank everyone who contributes to Netbeans, after 20 years with emacs, Netbeans is now my favorite IDE. I use it on winXP at work for C++ development and on Linux at home for php/mysql web programming.

Rahul Joshi replied on Thu, 2010/04/22 - 2:05pm

Great progress!! I can hardly wait for 6.9 stable release since much of what I need is fixed there. Been using it since 5.5 and OMG has it changed!

3 cheers! :)

D Wuysan replied on Fri, 2010/04/23 - 9:27pm

Really looking forward to NetBeans 6.9, particularly on the performance improvement. NetBeans is now my primary IDE (I couldn't remember the last time I launched Eclipse anymore). Well done, NetBeans team.

Jeff Schwartz replied on Mon, 2010/04/26 - 6:20pm

One thing that netbeans really lacks is good groovy and grails support. I'd rate its current support of these as poor.

Groovy code completion is bad to fair and it is slooooooooooooow. Its grails support is ok but nothing spectacular.

Take a look at what Aptana is doing in its RadRails v3 release. I don't see why Netbeans can't do the same for grails.

I hope that a soon to be released version of netbeans will address these inadequacies.

Jeff

Hanine Hamzioui replied on Tue, 2010/04/27 - 5:28am

We love how Netbeans flawlessly works, we've been using it since 6.5 at the university (UM2 in France) and especially for Java DEsktop programming and J2EE. One could easily get faster while using Netbeans instead of Eclipse. And what attracted us was the UML plugin and rich other plugins. Unfortunately, we heard NB 6.9 will no more support UML plugin and it will not even integrates it anymore! Thousands of Students and young developers all over France, have turned to Eclipse again, leaving NB behind, because, there is no more UML plugin, no more code generation and no more reverse-engineering, no more Design-patterns... It is a big big petty. Now we are oblige to re-use Eclipse or other IDEs with other low quality plugings like "ArgoUML or EMF staff".

Sergey Goppikov replied on Tue, 2010/04/27 - 1:58pm

Hi, thank you for this great pruduct NB , now i'm working on new PHP Project and develop new framework for online sales, its fully OOP and use MVC structure. I planning change IDE from NB 6.8 to NB 6.9. I already know some issues for NB and interested how  can i report for bugs and needful changes to NB team.

for me NB its most like crossplatform IDE for PHP and Qt4 Developer   :)

The things which i very hope to see in future versions are

1 ) PHP Profiler  (Xdebug support profiler option but it not availible for NB yet)

2 ) Git repositories support for projects

3) And may be but not so important - a todo and task planing  like in Zend IDE

thank you again!

Great Job!

Ahmed Alnomili replied on Mon, 2010/05/03 - 9:20am

yes and thankyou

Hans Stoikov replied on Mon, 2010/05/10 - 10:20pm in response to: Hanine Hamzioui

Hi Hanine, I've been using NetBeans for a few years now and I agree that UML plugin is really great stuff. It's a great loss that it no longer supported (just like the erasure of websphere support starting from 6.7), but in that case, using 6.8 or even 6.5 (with proper hardware specification) is still far better than using eclipse. I hope the development team will put back support for UML (and webshpere too, or at least geronimo) for the next release.

Mateo Gomez replied on Wed, 2012/03/21 - 1:02pm

i really appreciate this..thanks for sharing mexican bread

Matt Coleman replied on Thu, 2012/10/18 - 1:46am

NB as usual great job...keep up the good work

what to buy a graphic designer

Cata Nic replied on Mon, 2013/09/02 - 3:37am

Hello Hanine, the update looks more stable than the previous version of the NetBeans. I think the update is a huge success .